Thursday, June 18, 2009

Porcelain Doll Days

Good Morning All. Well I have been adding dolls eyes to my Etsy Fickle Crafters page all week. I'm still not done! I created porcelain dolls for about 6 years and during that time I have collected lots of supplies from eyes to patterns to trims.... Whatever you can think of most likely. I really enjoyed making the dolls as I added that craft to my "ceramic" history. My parents opened a retail/wholesale ceramics shop after my Dad retired from the Navy and I worked there. I poured more molds than I could ever count as we supplied all of the local military bases, all of the local retail shops and individuals and held classes on site. I began pouring porcelain for my Mom who finished (china painted ) the reproduction dolls and then I designed and made the clothes. I began doing my own and was hooked. That was when I first began selling my hand crafts to the public. I designed what I called the "wiggle baby" which was a small porcelain doll with porcelain head, hands and feet and a soft body. I dressed her (as with many of my babies) in a long christening gown. The special part was the mechanisim I placed in her head and neck that made her look like she was actually wiggling. The local television station picked up on the wiggle baby "craze" and did a clip on it. If I can ever find it and transfer it off the VHS tape it's now on, I'll post it. I'll add some pics to Flickr of some of my favorite dolls that I kept. Porcelain dolls ended after the 3rd back surgery so I moved on to corn shuck dolls. Once again, that's another story for another day.
Happy crafting,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment