Thursday, June 11, 2009

My fiber travels

Yep, I do love fiber. I have uploaded a bunch of photos to Flickr from a few of my fiber crafts from the last 2 years.
Rug hooking was fun but took a long time. I started doing smaller and smaller projects and then I remembered crewel. In my guild (AlbemarleCraftsman's Guild) there was a wonderful older lady who did beautiful Crewel. I always admired her work but at that time I was into porcelain dolls. From there I went to cornshuck dolls - Oh that's another story for another day. Anyway... I did enough crewel to have a booth in the Albemarle Craftsman's Fair and did quite well that year. Cindy shared a booth with me as it was her first year with her quilling.
I began combining hand embroidery with crewel pieces and also with the rug hooking. I haven't done any rug hooking in a while but I still love embroidery as there is always a new stitch to learn.
So then it was off to needle felting - I saw it on Etsy and was hooked before I even tried it. I have done a little wet felting and last week tried nuno felting. Now that ended up wrong. I had thought about doing some cobweb felting and that's what this turned in to - kinda. My wool didn't bond completely to the fabric and I just went ahead and pulled it all off. I really do like the piece I ended up with but will try to figure out the nuno-felting again. I used an organza fabric instead of the silk piece I also purchased. I guess I'll try with the silk. Anyone have any suggestions?
I think I may stay with felting a while as there are different techniques and projects that I would like to try. Stay tuned and I'll talk about my sculpey days too!
Happy crafting,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment